Held 42nd Session of the Complaints Commission of the Press Council in B&H
19 complaints discussed received in the period of April – June 2011
Sarajevo, 24 June 2011
The regular, forty second, session of the Complaints Commission of the Press Council in B&H was held on 24 June 2011in Sarajevo. In the session 8 citizen’s complaints were discussed which were received in the time period between two sessions of the Complaints Commission, April – June 2011
5 Complaints Upheld:
1. Mr. MILENKO PAVLOVIC - "EURO BLIC": Complaint of Mr. Milenko Pavlovic about the article “They Cut the Apples and Pears, and Made a Fortune,” published on 07.05.2011 in the daily “Euro Blic.” Breach of Article 5 – Accuracy and Fair Reporting and Article 7- Opportunity to Reply of the Press Code of B&H
2. Mr. MEHMED MAHIC - "DNEVNI AVAZ": Complaint of Mr. Mehmed Mahic regarding the article “The way Home Got Lost in the Underbrush of the Bureaucratic Apparatus,” published on 27.04.2011 in the daily “Dnevni Avaz”, Unsko-Sanski Canton edition. Breach of Article 7- Opportunity to Reply of the Press Code of B&H.
3. Mr. BERISLAV JURIC - "GLAS SRPSKE": Complaint of Mr. Berislav Juric, editor of the web portal Bitno.ba, about the unauthorized use of his article by the daily “Glas Srpske.” Breach of Article 14 – Author's Rights of the Press Code of B&H.
4. Mr. IVAN SUSNJAR - portal "NEZNASE.BA": Complaint of Mr. Ivan Susnjar, journalist for the portal Poskok.info regarding the article “Thanks to Tom Gotovac for the Big and Strenuous Deed” published on the portal Neznase.ba. Breach of Article 3 – Incitement of the Press Code of B&H.
5. COMPLAINTS COMMISSION OF THE PRESS COUNCIL IN B&H - "DNEVNI AVAZ": Within its jurisdiction the Complaints Commission of the Press Council in B&H has reviewed the article “If Mubarak Fell, Selimovic Will,” published in the daily “Dnevni Avaz” on 05.04.2011 and found breach of Article 4a – Gender Equality and Respect of Individuality of the Press Code of B&H.
3 Complaints Not Upheld:
1. Mr. MEHMED MAHIC - "DNEVNI AVAZ": Complaint of Mr. Mehmed Mahic regarding the article “Misuse of Authority,” published on 18.04.2011 in the daily “Dnevni Avaz”, Unsko-Sanski Canton edition.
2. Mr. SALIM BAJRAMOVIC - "DNEVNI AVAZ": Complaint of Mr. Salim Bajramovic about the article “Amongst the Organizers Are Hospital Doormen and Caretakers?” published on 24.03.2011 in the daily “Dnevni Avaz”.
3. B&H MINISTRY OF DEFENSE - "PRESS RS": Complaint of the B&H Ministry of Defense regarding the article “180 Bosniaks and 2 Serbs Promoted,” published on 20.06.2011 in the daily “Press RS.”
Also, in the period of April – June 2011, the Press Council in B&H solved 11 complaints through mediation:
- "CENTROTRANS TRANSPORT OF GOODS" Sarajevo, "FE-AL METALS" Sarajevo, "CITY PARK" Sarajevo, MR. HAJRUDIN MULIC and MR. MUSTAFA MULIC - "OSLOBOĐENJE": The Complaint
regarding eight articles published in the daily "Oslobodenje" was sent to the Press Council in B&H by lawyer, Mr. Mirsad Sipovic, as attorney for “Centrotrans Transport of goods“ Sarajevo, “Fe-al Metals“ Sarajevo, “City Park“ Sarajevo, Mr. Hajrudin Mulic and Mr. Mustafa Mulic. He sent a request for the publishing of the denial to the editorial staff and a complaint to the Press Council in B&H, with the note of the complainants that they are “Ready to withdraw the lawsuit they filed with the Municipal Court in Sarajevo” if “Oslobodenje” “executes the publishing of the requested denial.” The articles in question are: “Investor in 17 Frozen Accounts” (02.02.2011.), “Eight Apartments and Three Locations for 400,000 KM?” (09.02.2011.), “Money Laundering Through a Third Firm” (14.02.2011.),”Instead of a Facility, Gravel” (11.03.2011.), “Centrotrans’s Never Divided Property” (14.03.2011.), “Mortgage Without Evaluation of the Facility” (21.03.2011.), “Citizens Demand a Credit Audit” (02.04.2011.) and “After the Wall – a Log” (11.04.2011.). Through mediation of the Press Council in B&H the complainant's denial was published on 15.05.2011 under the title “Malicious Destruction of the Reputation of Firms.” The denial was published in a shortened form, since the complainant sent twelve pages of text as the denial. Unsatisfied with his, the complainant sent another denial which the editorial staff published on 19.06.2011 under the title “You are Wrong, the Bank and the Neighbors are at Fault.” The complainant sent an announcement to the Press Council in B&H and the daily “Oslobodenje” about the withdrawal of the lawsuit from the Municipal Court in Sarajevo, as well as a thank you note to the Press Council in B&H for acting professionally and expeditiously during the procedure;
- B&H MINISTRY OF DEFENCE - "VECERNJI LIST B&H": Complaint of the Public Relations Office of the B&H Ministry of Defense regarding the article published on 03.06.2011 in the daily “Vecernji List B&H” under the title “They Cannot Reach an Agreement as to What Nationality Should the Journalist Sent to Afghanistan Be.” After mediation of the Press Council in B&H the denial titled “The MO Never Sent an Invitation to Journalist to Register to Go to Afghanistan” was published;
- B&H MINISTRY OF DEFENCE - "SLOBODNA BOSNA": Complaint of the Public Relations Office of the B&H Ministry of Defense regarding the article “Why Is Prosecutor Milorad Barasin Nervous” published on 12.05.2011 in the magazine “Slobodna Bosna“. The denial of the complainant was published in the 19.05.2011 SB edition under the title “Your Claims About the Involvement of Minister Selmo Cikotic in Arms Smuggling Have No Basis”;
Press Releases COMPLAINTS COMMISSION
Website Developed Thanks To Donation By Civil Right Defenders